Teacher in Charge:
Year 9 Spanish (This course takes place over two terms)
There are over 570 million speakers of Spanish in the world; this makes Spanish one of the most widely spoken languages in the world. A lively and expressive language, Spanish is one of the easiest languages for New Zealand students to learn. English speakers find that many Spanish words are similar to words they already know. Speakers of Maori and Pacific Islands languages often find it easy to reproduce Spanish orally, because the vowel system is similar to their own.
Students will learn to be able to:
• understand, state, and ask about the existence of people, places, and things;
• understand, state, and ask about the location of people, places, and things;
• recognise, express, and ask about likes and dislikes;
• recognise, express, and ask about obligations;
• recognise, express, and ask about how they and others feel;
• ask how to say something in Spanish.
In a range of personal and familiar contexts, students should be able to:
Listening • understand and respond appropriately to dialogue and information in simple language; • get the gist of longer dialogue and information; • recognise and understand detail in longer dialogue and simple language.
Speaking • speak a range of words, phrases, and sentences with increasingly accurate pronunciation and intonation; • initiate and respond appropriately in brief conversations, using variations of learned words and phrases; • use simple language to give brief presentations.
Reading • get the gist of longer dialogue and information; • recognise and understand detail in longer dialogue and simple language.
Writing • write a range of words, phrases, and simple sentences with increasingly accurate spelling, use of accents, and punctuation; • apply knowledge about vocabulary and structures to vary phrases and sentences.
- Basic Questions
- Pronunciation Table
- Fortnightly vocabulary
- Brief introduction to conjugation
- I like, I dislike...
Spanish Locations and Directions
- Asking where something is
- Responding to questions
- Understanding locations vocabulary
- Listening to directions in Spanish
- Giving directions in Spanish